My News Leecher - Sharing All the Latest News
Please Login or Register for new user.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Please Login or Register for new user.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Maxthon 3 the next generation browser - Review

Go down

Maxthon 3 the next generation browser - Review Empty Maxthon 3 the next generation browser - Review

Post by coolng Wed May 04, 2011 9:01 pm

Maxthon 3 the next generation browser - Review Maxthon3-2small

About

Maxthon 3 is a hybrid web browser that combines both, Internet Explorer’s Trident and WebKit rendering engines. Therefore, users can switch between two of them, in case there are compatibility issues. Furthermore, it includes one of the fastest JavaScript engines, which is Google’s V8.

Although Maxthon 3 is one of the most popular web browsers in China, it failed to gain significant ground everywhere else.

Can version 3 change that? Let’s find out.

Upon the launch, browser greets you with a simple, good looking UI, as well as an introductory page that explains the new features of Maxthon 3.

Maxthon 3 the next generation browser - Review Maxthon3small

The Good
As you might expect, browser does indeed feel fast. In fact, I went ahead and deleted cache (no change), just because it loaded non-heavy web pages instantly; but then again, you can achieve pretty much same results with most modern web browsers, such as: Google Chrome.

What about features?

Maxthon 3 includes Opera’s Speed Dial with drag & drop support, allowing you to quickly access frequently visited web pages.

Maxthon 3 the next generation browser - Review Maxthon3-1small

Maxthon 3 the next generation browser - Review Maxthonspeeddial

Additionally, you can synchronize your favorites across difference computers (registration is required, obviously).

Maxthon 3 the next generation browser - Review Maxthonlogin

One of the more interesting Maxthon 3 features is “Maxthon Multi Search”. Basically, it allows you to quickly seek for information via different search engines. Can be really useful, especially when it comes to images search or news.

Maxthon 3 the next generation browser - Review Maxthon3-multisearchsmall

Fortunately for web developers, it also includes WebKit Developer Tools (see the following page for comparison). No additional files or add-ons are required, just hit on the icon and you are all set.

Maxthon 3 the next generation browser - Review Maxthon3developertools2

Maxthon 3 the next generation browser - Review Maxthon3developertoolssmall

Maxthon 3 the next generation browser - Review Maxthon3magicfill

Maxthon Magic Fill

Settings page is where Maxthon 3 truly shines. Have you ever found a setting that was not well explained (if explained at all)? Well, worry no more. Thanks to geniuses behind the idea, Maxthon does a pretty good job explaining some of them.

Maxthon 3 the next generation browser - Review Maxthon3-config

Maxthon 3 the next generation browser - Review Maxthon3mousegestures

For those who enjoy mouse gestures, there is such feature as well.

Maxthon 3 the next generation browser - Review Maxthon3addressbar

Maxthon 3 the next generation browser - Review Maxthon3magicfill

The Bad
Although Maxthon 3 includes an integrated ad hunter, when it comes to more “advanced” use, it’s really not that useful. I couldn’t easily block flash ads and browser crashed when I tried to turn this feature off.

Maxthon 3 the next generation browser - Review Acid3

As you can see from test results, although Maxthon scored 100/100, it has not passed the test.

What happens when you turn on developer tools on such page?

Maxthon 3 the next generation browser - Review Acid32

Anything else?

Yes, sometimes browser feels like a mess, it’s hard to find a specific setting or function you want. For example: I was trying to view page source, pressed Alt button to see the menu but nothing happened. Then went to the menu itself but couldn’t find “View Source” item. Tried “page menu” (where you enable Developer Tools, etc.), still no luck..

All I had to do was simply click right mouse button and vuala. Same with search, you can’t find “multi-search” settings in browser “Options…” menu.

Customization

One of the biggest Maxthon 3 downfalls is UI customization, or lack of it. I am not sure if it’s even possible to remove a single design element or button.

It’s like developers saying: here, use it as we tell you to, and don’t you dare to change anything.

Here’s my preferred browser UI: clean and junk free

Maxthon 3 the next generation browser - Review Perfectuismall

Also, it looks like RSS Reader is no longer a part of Maxthon, at least we couldn’t find any easy way for subscribing to RSS Feeds. Their landing page does not seem to acknowledge such feature as well.

Conclusion

Maxthon 3 is a well thought out web browser that not only offers great performance and has intuitive user interface, but also, something, what every other browser lacks: exceptionally friendly configuration page for its new users.

Of course, Maxthon 3 still has stability issues and some flaws that require attention, especially when it comes to UI customization. So, if you are not a clean UI junkie, have no need for a RSS reader and just like new things, give it a spin, it’s a browser worth trying.

Original Article

Home Page

Download
coolng
coolng
Owner
Owner

https://mynewsleecher.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down